Mayor Mitch Landrieu's 'NOLA for Life' plan has five goals: stop the shooting; invest in prevention; promote jobs and opportunity; get residents involved and rebuild neighborhoods; and improve the Police Department.
Rather than rely on a single program, Landrieu offers a multi-faceted approach with hopes of addressing the complicated factors that contribute to the killings, including poor educational and job opportunities, insufficient mental health services, blighted neighborhoods and inadequate police training.
The chief efforts include:
- Creating a team of federal law enforcement specialists to prosecute drug kingpins;
- Making teenagers aware of the consequences of criminal behavior;
- Providing community conflict-resolution and trauma-counseling services;
- Expanding mentoring programs;
- Improving job and housing opportunities for ex-offenders;
- Building public trust in the Police Department.